Tuesday, September 16, 2008

view from the east

Still mulling over this challenge of worldly riches and our response as Christ-followers:

I was in China in April and I had so many great experiences, so many events and places that opened my eyes to concepts I might not have ever considered in that great country. A few impressions that struck me as we traveled from Mongolia in the north all the way to Hong Kong in the south:

- I was blessed (as I am in most parts of the world) with the friendliness and approachability of the people. They seemed as interested in us as we were in them, and openly tried to share with us with the little (or sometimes considerable) amount of English they knew;

- Christianity is growing and maturing in ways I had not thought. I assumed that believers worshiped quietly in every place, constantly looking over their shoulders in fear of reprisal. While there are definite issues with authorities (and that differs from place to place), it is not like I had imagined, as we met in marketplaces and public buildings, sang our hearts out and shared quite actively;

- I think I had expected that most people (especially those in Beijing) would be wearing Chairman Mao hats and carrying their Little Red Books with them. Boy, was that a silly misconception! In the cities especially, there is a race toward modern westernism, with all that it entails (so glad for the Starbucks that we found!). Make no mistake, communism still rules the country, but people are looking to capitalism as their future. Construction is taking place everywhere, and I was told that perhaps 25% of all cranes (the machines, not the birds!) are found in China's cities. I think we must have seen half of them;

- I quickly realized that the materialism that has gripped our culture (and Church) for so long is not ours alone. The quest for "stuff" feels as all-consuming in China as it is here, particularly in the urban centers. And as people of all ages rush after the "good things" of life I believe that the greatest obstacle for the Chinese Church in the foreseeable future will not be communism...but consumerism.

May God grant them grace to figure out how to do a better job slaying that dragon than we have.

No comments: