Saturday, September 27, 2008

the all-american sin

Interesting. I've been thinking and wrestling with the whole wealth, materialism and how much we have thing in previous posts this month, and our high school pastor, Evan asked me to speak last Thursday night at the high school bible study. Seems they're doing a series on the 7 deadly sins, and my topic was...greed. I love God's sense of humor, to have me so caught up in some of this and then give me an unanticipated chance to talk about it.

I have come to realize (among other things) that greed is part and parcel of our culture, lifestyle and philosophy. It's so pervasive and insidious that we often fail to recognize it for what it is. It intertwines itself with other sins and attitudes all too freely and subtly. It's no wonder that the early church referred to greed as "the mother of all sins."

Our system breeds greed, and in light of the condition of the world around us, I'd say we're pretty much out of control. And the problem isn't just in our culture but in the Church as well. Greed is a disease that poisons our lives by deceiving us into thinking that what we're doing to get all we want is OK. But it will ultimately kill us if left unchecked. The cure? Begin with the truth as we find it in Scripture, and really believe what Jesus and others tell us about the danger of always wanting more. Then reshift our focus from the stuff of this world to the call of something greater. When we do this we can then begin to live anti-greed. I know that generosity is critical here, both in spontaneous giving to those in need and regular giving to the Lord. Generosity keeps our grip loose on the stuff we have, and we need to not hold on so tightly to that stuff.

My biggest issue is the difference between what I know and what I do. I understand the truth, the massive over-accumulation on my/our part and the need for redistribution. But living this out is another matter. Easier said than done, yeah? I think the key is to begin somewhere and do something, so that God can move me/us toward where He wants me/us to be. Got to make sure something is going on this part of my journey, something that reflects the conviction I am rediscovering in my life. How do you do it? I'd be interested in hearing how God is moving you to make sure you channel what you have for the sake of others. Let me know- after all, we're all in this together. I think Jim Elliot (missionary to the Waodani Indians of Ecuador, who was killed making contact with them) may have said it best:

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

No comments: