Tuesday, September 9, 2008

shack attack!

*warning- this is a long post!*

During my time in Kenya last month, I brought along a copy of the novel,The Shack, by William Young (thanks, Rebecca, for lending me your well-used copy). I first heard of this book in the spring while teaching at a missions school in Montana. I discovered that it's one of this year's hot copies on the bookstands and has soared near the top of several secular Top 10 Lists, even though it is a God-centered story. I also discovered that it is currently a huge hot-button issue in Christian circles, as it presents the nature of the Godhead in a unique (controversial?) manner, as well as our relationship to the person of God. I figured I should read it, since it would probably be something I would eventually be asked about anyway (and I was right).

The story contained in The Shack revolves around the age-old question: "Where is God in the midst of our suffering and pain?" Young seeks to resolve that struggle by presenting the triune nature of God in a fresh (heretical?) way to his readers. The main character, MacKenzie Phillips, is invited to meet God in a secluded shack, even as he is struggling with the murder of his young daughter, an event he can't understand in light of what he knows about God. He accepts the invitation and discovers the person of God in a manner he never expected. The time spent there helps him work through and resolve not only his daughter's death, but his struggle with his relationship with God. It is moving, passionate, engaging and challenging. I stayed up late reading just one more chapter, argued aloud with the author over some of his statements and ideas, and wept over some of my own struggles in my concept of and relationship with God.

I sensed that the author wrote this out of his own experience and suffering, trying to make sense of some of his own life issues. Some of the images and ideas he presented were frustrating, some were theologically questionable (at best), some were wonderfully woven and crafted. Young is an excellent wordsmith and storyteller. I know that there are concepts that some (many?) disagree with. I had trouble with some as well. But as uncomfortable as I was with some of the pictures he painted, I was challenged with trying to understand God in ways I have not considered. Seems to me that the longer we are in the faith, the more solid, sedate and stationary we tend to become. It is harder to move us, to shake us up, to rattle our cages (now that's not always a bad thing, but sometimes...).

This book is a cage-rattler. It provoked me to rethink ideas I may have taken for granted after many years, and it reminded me of a particular critical concept, that of relationship. God's great desire is to restore our connection and relationship with Him in a growing and vibrant way. And He wants us to understand the value of relatonship by looking at His own nature, one of triunity. I know it's tough, and our best efforts will always fall short, but I believe we need to continue to try to picture it as best we can. The pictures are important.

The critics of this book are many, and some of their remarks have value (you can find them all over the internet, so I won't bother here). But there is a bigger picture that can have great value for us, as well as for those outside the Church who are searching for answers. A work like this can be a great tool to foster conversation. People are showing interest. Why not use what has been provided as a springboard for greater spiritual discovery? And while we're at it, why not use this to propel our relationship to a more initimate level with a God who cares so very much for us, and who is waiting to meet us wherever we find ourselves in life's journey?

2 comments:

Rebecca Z said...

Mike,
I loved your explanation and take on the story. I think the story really explains a relationship with God even through the worst possible tragedies we can encounter. I think your blog is great and I'll be sending it to some of my friends.

Rebecca Z

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Rebecca. So far, the response I have received from those I know who have read the book is qualified thumbs-up. Yeah, there are some trouble spots, but the thrust of the story challenges so many of us in the most personal part of our walk with God...especially in those toughest of times. And thanks for passing the blog on to your friends. That's really the best "advertising" I could get! Mike