Saturday, December 6, 2008

no christmas joy in india

What an unholy mess. As I sit in my coffee shop "office" listening to Christmas carols extolling peace on earth and goodwill toward men, I'm reading, pondering and trying to wrap my head around the horrific Mumbai massacre. The more I read, the more disheartened I feel about the possibility of this elusive peace on earth thing. I realize I just how much I still don't understand about how people think and what lengths they will go to in order to accomplish what is of greatest importance to them.

I do, however, understand and believe a few things in relation to these troubling Indian events. First, I know that people like those who carried out such merciless attacks will never be won over through dialogue and reason. They do not function on what we would consider "reasonable" levels. Their agenda calls for the absolute overthrow of their adversaries by whatever means necessary. Violence is (obviously) no deterrent for them. And world leaders would be fools to think that conferencing, negotiation or mutual co-existence are viable options. The thinking is the same, whether it be in India, Somalia, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, the US or anywhere else these radicals choose to exert themselves. No negotiations. None. Ever.

Second, I again recognize that the actions of a minority within a system often have the power to influence the direction of the majority. While I believe that the majority of Muslims do not favor the actions of such terrorists, I also know that many, far too many, will allow the actions, directives and demands of these kinds of people to, at some point, determine what they themselves will do. History has demonstrated that violent socio-cultural leaders with agendas have (and will) bend the will of the majority of their people to those agendas. That concerns me greatly.

Third, the very magnitude of this situation (and those like it) is a sober reminder that our world is still in desperate need of One who can truly bring peace on earth...and that those of us who claim to know and follow him have the responsibility to represent his promises to these who need to know. That's the reality of the Christmas message- that humanity has the possibility reconnection with God, and reconciliation with each other through the coming of a Savior. But reality is also that if we who embrace that Savior fail to communicate that message, people will continue to live- and die- in futile adversity. With God, and with each other.

The message of
Christmas has now become that much more urgent to me this year. Joy to the world? The world? Somehow, I think you and I have a part to play in that expression being realized.

No comments: