Wednesday, February 11, 2009

connections

I had a great surprise today, the kind of serendipitous event that reminded me of the bigger picture of connection within God's community. I received a visit from an old friend (time-wise, not age) this afternoon. I was working with Robert (my great bud and assistant) in the church's auditorium when I heard a deep voice in another room ask him if he knew where Mike Carman was. When I heard him say that his name was Pete Contreras, my heart jumped (ok, I do have atrial fibrillation- irregular heartbeat- but this was different!).

I've known Pete for more than 20 years, but haven't seen him in a long, long ti
me (can't remember just how long). Pete was a young and aspiring college student when I first met him in the mid-80's, eager to learn and do urban ministry. 20-some years later, he and his wife Julie (and their kids) are still serving in urban San Diego. They've ministered many years downtown there, working with the least, lost and last on the streets. Recently they launched a new church plant out of their own home. They have more than 60 people meeting there and are looking for a bigger place to hold their burgeoning flock. They're committed to making a holistic difference in the lives of those in the city, knowing that although salvation is the ultimate need of people, there is also need of life skills, personal value, safety and purpose...and that's what they've committed themselves to. They're a great example and model for those of us who work in the urban arena.

It was great t
o connect again with a dear friend and brother, one who has remained faithful over the long haul, who has put his hand to the plow and not looked back. My heart was refreshed by the short time we spent together, and I was encouraged to make sure I'm going full-throttle in my own efforts with those on our streets. I was also reminded of the value of investing my life into others, knowing that there's a great return when we share what God has given us with those around us. Pete was a faithful learner many years ago, and a faithful leader today. And my life has been blessed (again!) because of him. How sweet of God to allow a surprise "shot in the arm" for my life today!

Got any friends who could use that kind of surprise from you?

No comments: