Saturday, November 20, 2010

a tank full of thankful

I'm reeling today...with thankfulness.  Yesterday was filled with events that allowed me to see again the hand of God working through people, touching lives in some special ways.


The first event took place (actually, it culminated) during the afternoon.  The local 7-11 down the street from the church had been conducting a canned food drive for our Pantry ministry the last couple of weeks.  It was one of those "Bring a can, get a free hot dog" kind of thing. And they got rid of a lot of dogs!  The owner, a gracious man named Ranji (on left, wearing turban), asked if I could come to receive the cans and join in the festivities. Ranji is generous and wanted to give back to the community.  He decided to hook up with us because he knew that we provide food regularly to people in need.


When I got to the 7-11 parking lot, people were everywhere, and plastic tubs of food were piled high.  A DJ spun music at an extremely high decibel level, a jumper consumed small children, and free food and soft drinks were being devoured everywhere.  Ranji hugged me as he excitedly showed me the food that had been collected. Kids kept arriving with more cans, and the inside of the store was as full of people as the outside.


Ranji told me that his dream was to see the community helping its own, and that he wanted to develop an ongoing partnership with us.  As I mingled with people, I was reminded that there really is only one race on earth, the human race. That we have the ability to lift each other, strengthen each other and make a difference in each other's lives.  And I saw again the great value of a church that is connected with those around it.  Our involvement with people at basic life levels helps them understand God's concern for them, and gives us a platform to continue sharing life with them.


A short while later we gathered at the church for our monthly Community Supper.  November's Supper is special, as we serve a full Thanksgiving dinner, thanks to the generous donations of our congregation.  The evening was outstanding as more than 200 from the community arrived to a special set-up in the main auditorium. Scrumptious dinners were served by almost 100 volunteers from the church.  Lots of sharing, lots of interaction, lots of connection.  And everyone was thankful.  Very thankful. One woman told me upon her arrival that she was so lonely.  At the end of the evening she assured me that loneliness was no longer an immediate concern.


My heart's full.  People giving their possessions for strangers. People giving their time in service. People giving their lives for others. And I'm thankful as I see so many blessings around me.  It's easy to become cynical in my world, and much of what I see and experience has the capability to color it with some pretty ugly hues. But Friday reminded me that good blossoms in even the grayest of situations, and that people have the ability to do good when need presents itself.  And why not?  It goes back to image in which we were made, doesn't it? That image is a good one, always initiating, always giving, always blessing, always connecting.  And that gives me hope.


And it makes me thankful.

No comments: