Friday, September 17, 2010

bush league (reggie and the heisman)

It's been a tough ride recently for those of us who count ourselves as University of Southern California football fans. The team has been penalized because of rules infractions dating back to the 2005 season, the firestorm centering around star running back Reggie Bush. Reggie won the Heisman Trophy that year, given to the outstanding college player of the season, but was recently found guilty of rules infractions, namely accepting money and gifts from potential agents during that season. These violations not only meant he'd been ineligible, but cost the team victories in which he played, their '05 national championship title and now, scholarships and the ability to play in post-season games the next two years. As I watched, read and reflected on the debacle this week, I found perspective that I hadn't initially considered.

What Reggie did w
as wrong. Flat out. But he chose to participate anyway. Maybe he justified it, thought he deserved it. Maybe he figured that no one would be the wiser, or be hurt by it. Maybe he was overwhelmed with the amounts being flashed before him. Maybe he became so consumed with what was right in front of him that he lost perspective of the bigger picture. No excuses, just maybes.

And as much as this riles me, I realize that my attitudes with sin usually run parallel. When I sin, I typically know that it's wrong but I choose to participate anyway. I can justify my actions, thinking I may even deserve whatever it is before me. Usually I figure no will know or be hurt by what I do. And I usually lose sight of the bigger picture and cost at stake. No excuses, just realizations.

But Reggie is discovering some deeper truths. Choices always have consequences. Always. They may come immediately, they may take awhile, but they will come. And it doesn't matter how you spin it to yourself, how you may convince yourself that it's OK. Wrong will still be wrong. Always. And there really is a bigger picture, along with collateral damage- those (often innocent) who will be impacted by what you choose. Always.

Scripture validates these truths. There's a story in the Old Testament book of 2
Kings about the servant of Elisha named Gehazi. Following the healing of Naaman, a man with leprosy, Gehazi set out to claim material goods that his master had turned down as a thank-you for the healing. Gehazi justified his actions to himself, lied to Naaman, and allowed the bling to distort his perspective. It was all about the moment. He hid his new-found spoil, assuming no one would be the wiser. He even lied to Elisha, who knew what he'd just done (c'mon, man, he was a prophet of God, after all). And when Elisha confronted him, Gehazi's punishment was to be Naaman's leprosy upon him for the rest of his life...and upon the lives of his descendants! Talk about your least-favorite relative at a family reunion!

Reggie has said that he made mistakes and that he returned the trophy because it was the right thing to do. That's good start. But he's not admitting guilt, not saying that he did wrong. Not apologizing to those he hurt by his actions. Without that kind of admission there is no repentance, no change of heart. And I'm afraid he'll continue to deny, justify and hide. I know, because I know the difference between a mistake and a sin in my own life. Between "oops" and violating a rule of God. And I know the difference in dealing with them...and what happens when I don't.

I want to be mad at Reggie, and I probably am a little, because what he did tainted a program and damaged possibilities of others. But my anger is tempered when I recognize the same tendencies within myself, and my struggle to do what's right. So for now, I'll keep my throwing stones tucked away until I'm sure I've got it all together. And I'll hope for Reggie, that he'll listen to the right voices, recognize the bigger picture and do, not just what's expected, and not just what's good, but what's best. Who knows? Maybe there will be an award waiting for him...given by the only Judge who's going to matter.

Fight on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

More and more, I see people who live by the credo "anything goes as long as I don't get caught". I believe this is becoming the new version of "freedom" in America.

Another way to describe this is "situational ethics" where there is no right or wrong, only what's "best for me" in the current situation. This type of thinking leads to a breakdown in civilization as people begin to only look out for themselves and are willing to run over anyone and everyone to get what they want. Kinda like what Reggie Bush did.

As I was reading through Isaiah, I came across a passage that I believe is becoming more and more relevant in today's society -

"Is it not because I have long been silent that you do not fear me?
I will expose your righteousness and your works, and they will not benefit you.
When you cry out for help, let your collection of idols save you!"
Isaiah 57:11b - 13a