Monday, June 29, 2009

sunday, blessed sunday

I had a Sunday in Brisbane before the arrival of our GO! Team, and it was spent with the church at Ann Street. It's a small multi-ethnic congregation in the heart of the city, doing what they can to stay alive, grow, and impact their world for the Gospel. They're a mix of white and indigenous Australia, international students, homeless, old timers and newbies. All with one overriding need and desire- to know the life and hope that Jesus offers.

I spoke in the morning service and I was blessed by being back in a small church environment, where time constraints aren't a major factor (not like a mega-church schedule, anyway) and there's an ability to simply exhale and relax before the Lord. The service operated on a more personal basis (that can be good or bad), and I think I'd forgotten how good it was to be a part of such an experience. My spirit was encouraged and strengthened, and I felt I had quality time with God. That's always good.

The afternoon was a blast. My Aussie friend (and Ann St. elder), Tim and I popped into an Islander service that meets downstairs at the church. This little group, about 25 this Sunday, is led by Pastor Graham from Papua New Guinea. We're friends, and when he saw us come in, he promptly told his people that I'd be bringing the message! I shared the account from Luke 9, when Jesus challenged three men to count the cost of following Him. I talked about the priority of lordship and the excuses we make, and even had a running conversation for a time with a homeless guy in the back. I guess some things never change!

As I sat, Pastor Graham offered an impassioned invitation based on the message, and before it was all said and done- and trust me, there was lots said!- 14 people stood before us to recommit their lives to the Lord. It was a great way to end the day, seeing God's hand move in the lives of people a world away from mine. And it reminded me of the urgency of our message wherever we go. For surely, just as people hunger to know Jesus in a real way here in Oz, so in our own neighborhoods and backyards people need the same message. Because they have the same needs. The same hurts. The same Savior.

You may never make it down here, but you've got a message and an audience wherever you are. Look around and find that person in your life now who could use some good news. Then make it your priority to get that message to him or her in some way. No airfare or passport necessary.

Just a heart that cares.

No comments: