Tuesday, May 5, 2009

a great day for a party

It's warming up. The days are brighter, longer, and filled with hope. At least that's how I feel today. I'm reading through the New Testament letter to the Colossian church this morning, and I'm reminded again of the supremacy of Christ. Paul tells us (me) that Jesus is the glue that holds everything in this universe together- everything. And the shedding of his blood on the cross was the needed ingredient to bring peace and reconciliation to humankind, reconnecting us to a vital relationship with the Father. I need that word today. It helps me keep my priorities in order. Helps me remember why I do what I do. Helps me look beyond the immediate to the bigger, eternal picture.

In my last post, I talked about those at our church's door looking for help. Often it's physical relief they seek, but even that lends itself to the opportunity to talk about other, deeper issues. We get a lot of people coming by, as you might imagine. Sometimes I confess I get weary listening and helping. Sometimes the fruit yield in this kind of ministry is small, and it can be discouraging. Sometimes I forget why I'm really here.

But not yesterday. Yesterday
the angels threw a party. You see, last week I spoke with a man who'd been coming off and on for food and prayer. His current situation was not good, he was looking at being on the streets, and he was at the end of his rope. We provided enough assistance to get him through the immediate crisis, and he told me he wanted to bring his daughter and talk more about Christ.

Yesterday he did just that. He returned with his 16 year-old daughter and the three of us talked at length about what it means to follow the path of Jesus. At the end of the conversation they both told me they wanted to make that commitment! We prayed together, they received Christ as Lord and Savior. I gave them Scriptures to read about baptism. Told them to come back after their lunch and we'd go from there.

Sure enough, that afternoon they were back. We talked some more, answered some questions, and then I had the privilege of baptizing them into Christ. A party in heaven broke out as two who were lost had been found! And I remembered again why I really do what I do, why I'm really here. It's because people need to know. They need to see. They need to hear. They need to feel and understand God's love for them, regardless of their situation. What Christ has done for them. How much they mean to him. How valuable they really are. Colossians 1:13 says it like this:

For he [God] has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

PARTY ON!

No comments: