Saturday, November 22, 2008

on loving your neighbor

Sometimes I come across something that someone else has written that hits the mark in a way that makes me stop and think. I want to share one such writing, shared by a friend named Julie:

I stopped at the bank on a usual busy day. There in the strip mall near the bank I saw an outing of local handicapped adults and their helpers. One of the men I always recognize has a few phases he repeats so enthusiastically, today's being, "I can catch that, I can catch that." I slow my walk and watch as they shuffle along, most surely to the Dollar Store.

People step aside to clear the path and they smile kindly. Others nod and smile, as one fit older lady calls loudly to them, "Afternoon, folks". Most don't even seem to understand she is talking to them, but one smaller helper lady responds softly. Funny, some of the helpers of these folks just walk along chatting in their foreign and quick-sounding tongues, as if the life in their charge isn't even there.

Then it struck me. I yield to them, others too, and some may even greet this group when they might normally pass on by. I'm not really sure but it seems to be that way. Why? I think because we can so easily see their "brokeness." Now we know that all of us are broken, but these folks just happen to wear their brokeness where it can't be hidden. Many of us treat them with kindness, compassion and outward love in response to so easily seeing how fragile their spirit is.

I share this story with you because without Christ we are all broken without hope. I also know that this world would be lifted up if we remember just how fragile all of us are, even though we may not see that fragility and even though we try and hide it. I hope others see you for the precious glory of God's special creation you are and will love you. I hope you can love those around you,remembering how Christ so obviously loves us all. I'm gonna look hard to see how special those are around me~since it may not be as obvious as the group on their day trip at the strip mall.

Well said, Julie. And reflective of such great need in this world. Thanks.

No comments: